Man given 15 year jail term for 'ferocious' machete attack
Main article content
A man who left someone needing an emergency amputation after a ‘ferocious’ attack with a machete is facing 15 years behind bars.
Three members of the same family were found guilty in October of violent disorder after their attack sparked a large-scale brawl in which people armed themselves with improvised weapons.
Five people required hospital treatment for serious stab wounds and head injuries as a result of the attack.
Abdul Saqib, Adbul Aqib and Abdul Jaman targeted a group of revellers during an Eid celebration evening which took place in the Bury Park area of Luton in July 2021.
Armed officers attended the scene shortly before 1am where they put a tourniquet on the injured man as part of vital first aid administered by police at the scene.
The victim, a man in his 20s, was taken to hospital where doctors were later forced to perform an emergency amputation to save his life.
“For over two years, I’ve not been able to sleep. I wake up scared because I see people with knives in my dreams,” the victim said in a statement which was read out in court today (Friday).
“This has changed my life forever and has affected me in so many ways. Even in my sleep I can’t escape what has happened to me.”
Believed to be the catalyst to the events that followed, police were called to reports of a fight at around 10.45pm on the same evening.
On arrival, officers found the reported crowd to have dispersed and the event to be in order.
However, around two hours later, CCTV operators alerted police to another violent disorder unfolding.
During the trial, the court heard how Saqib, disguised in a balaclava, armed himself with two two-feet long machetes and charged towards the group of celebrants, stabbing a man in the thigh - severing a major artery.
Investigators found Saqib used such force that the recovered knives were deformed as a result of the attack.
After causing catastrophic injuries to his first victim, Saqib continued his attack and stabbed a second man in the back. A few moments later he was confronted by another member of the public, who he proceeded to stab in the chest and shoulder.
Saqib’s brother Aqib and the pair’s uncle, Jaman, were also captured in mobile phone footage attacking the group by punching and throwing wooden pallets at people. Both Aqib and Jaman later received treatment for head injuries.
Detective Chief Inspector Nick Gardner, from our Crime Investigation Department, said: “There are few other ways to describe this attack other than ferocious.
“As a result of the deplorable and unprovoked actions of Saqib alongside his followers Aqib and Jaman, the victim not only has to overcome the trauma of being violently attacked, but also come to grips with an injury that has no doubt changed the course of his life.
“There is nothing that could ever justify such violence on a day that is supposed be a celebration and coming together of communities.
"We hope the jail terms handed to these thugs act as a warning to anyone else in our community that the consequences of using a knife will be severe."
Abdul Saqib, 22, of Claremont Road, Luton, was previously found guilty of one count of causing grievous bodily harm (GBH) with intent and one count of violent disorder.
He was sentenced to 15 years in prison today (Friday) at Luton Crown Court.
Abdul Jaman, 46, of Williton Road, Luton, was found guilty of one count of violent disorder. He was sentenced to spend two-and-a-half years in prison.
Abdul Aqib, 25, of Claremont Road, Luton, was found guilty of one count of violent disorder. He was given a two year prison sentence, suspended for two years.
Just Drop It is a new countywide campaign calling for young people involved in serious violence to consider the ripple effect of their actions.