Evacuated residents return home following Sharnbrook explosion
Main article content
Residents evacuated following an explosion at a house in Sharnbrook have returned to their homes.
The residents of three properties evacuated on Monday evening returned to their homes last night (Wednesday) as the scene in Loring Road was scaled back.
Specialist explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) teams have now completed their work and handed the site over to police.
Searches are expected to continue at the address until next week.
Today (Thursday) the investigation into what happened was formally handed over to the Bedfordshire Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit.
Specialist Counter Terrorism Policing resources are continuing to support the investigation, due to the nature of the incident.
A man in his 40s is still in hospital receiving treatment for life changing injuries following the explosion.
He has yet to be interviewed by police while he receives treatment, having been arrested on suspicion of offences under the Explosive Substances Act.
Detectives have also created a new online reporting tool for people to submit any information they feel could help police with their enquiries.
Detective Superintendent William Hodgkinson from Bedfordshire Police, who is leading the operation, said: “We are continuing to progress this complex investigation as quickly and professionally as we can.
“A key part of this has been scaling back our emergency services presence at the scene and hopefully it reassures the local community that this part of Sharnbrook is starting to look a bit more normal.
“While I anticipate this investigation will still take some time, I want to thank the residents of Sharnbrook for their patience and understanding so far.
“I would also encourage any residents with concerns or information which they believe can help our investigation to get in touch via the new portal.”
Investigations continue into Sharnbrook explosion - 12/04/2023
Emergency services are continuing to investigate a small explosion which took place at a residential property in Sharnbrook earlier this week.
A specialist explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) team has been leading searches at a house in Loring Road following the incident at around 7.40pm on Monday (10 April).
The incident is being treated as isolated, with no risk to the wider public.
A man in his 40s remains in hospital following the explosion having suffered life changing injuries.
He was arrested on suspicion of offences under the Explosive Substances Act, but is yet to be interviewed due to his treatment.
Searches at the address are expected to continue over the coming days. Three neighbouring properties have been evacuated as a precaution.
Bedfordshire Police is leading the investigation, with support from the Bedfordshire Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit.
Due to the nature of the incident, Counter Terrorism Policing has deployed resources with access to specialist capabilities to help establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident.
Detective Superintendent William Hodgkinson from Bedfordshire Police, who is leading the operation, said: “Incidents of this nature are understandably of great concern to local communities and I wish to thank everyone for their patience, cooperation and understanding.
“This is especially true of those residents who have had to move elsewhere while we carry out our enquiries.
“While our investigation remains at an early stage and we are keeping an open mind, this is believed to be an isolated incident with no risk to the wider public.
“An emergency services presence is likely to remain at the scene for much of the rest of the week, and we’ll continue to progress with our investigation as quickly as we can whilst we get to the bottom of what has happened.”